Life drawing session on tap Sunday
Boulder City Art Guild & Gallery and Lee Lanier will present a life painting/drawing session from 12:30-3:30 p.m. Sunday at the Elaine K. Smith building, classroom 108, 700 Wyoming St.
The guest model, Blue Ruin, will hold a single pose, with short breaks, for the entire session. Those attending should bring all their own art supplies.
Cost is $15 per person if reservations are made by today. They can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Entry at the door is $20 cash.
A minimum of four people are needed to ensure the session will be held.
For additional information, contact the art guild at 702-293-2138.
Haircut, photo special event to benefit needy
Serenity Salon and Spa and Vegas Valley Photography are co-sponsoring a back-to-school special offering a free haircut and photo shoot for donations of school supplies and nonperishable foods to benefit Emergency Aid of Boulder City.
Haircuts will be offered from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. today at the salon, 100 S. Elm St., with photos offered from 1-6 p.m.
Appointments are appreciated, but walk-ins are welcome.
For additional information call Serenity at 702-489-3411 or Vegas Valley Photography at 702-883-0922.
Recipe exchange, movie scheduled at library
Boulder City Library, 701 Adams Blvd., has several activities planned for the coming weeks. These include:
* Mobile educational lab with Vegas PBS, 10 a.m. today in the community room. Learn about the resources available from Vegas PBS to help children succeed.
* Lego challenge, 3:30 p.m. today in the community room. The session is designed for those 6 and older.
* Teen movie, 5 p.m. today in the community room. “Dracula Untold” will be shown. Bring blankets and snacks.
* Recipe exchange, small bites, 1 p.m. Saturday in the community room. Bring in a small sample to share and copies of your recipe. Reservations required by 8:30 p.m. tonight. For those 12 and older. Turn in a copy of your recipe at the reference desk before noon Friday and staff will make copies.
* Preschool story time, 10 a.m. Tuesday in the board room. For children 3-5 and their caregivers.
* Toddler story time, 10 a.m. Wednesday in the board room. For children younger than 36 months.
Note, the library will be closed Sundays through Labor Day.
Call 702-293-1281 for details, reservations or more information.
Lake Mead to hold ranger programs
Lake Mead National Recreation Area has a variety of special events happening in the coming weeks. These include:
* Ranger chat, “The Mojave Desert: A Magical Land,” 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday at the Alan Bible Visitor Center.
* Evening program, campfire stories and songs, 8 p.m. Saturday in the amphitheater at the Boulder Beach Campground.
* Ranger program, “Seeds of the Southwest,” Sunday. Join a ranger to learn about the beauty of native seeds of the Mojave Desert and the variety of plants in the area. There will be a seed ball making party to help with the park’s desert landscaping efforts. Reservations required.
Call 702-293-8990 for additional information or to make reservations.
Cool season gardening topic for club
The Boulder City Garden Club will meet at 6:45 p.m. Sept. 2 in the community room at the Boulder City Library, 701 Adams Blvd.
Guest speaker Emily Beamguard will discuss “Cool season vegetable gardening.” All interested people are welcome to attend.
For more information, call Libby Powell at 702-293-9064.
Church’s women’s group sets teddy bear picnic
The Grace Community Church Women’s Association will have a kickoff potluck luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Sept. 9.
Theme for the afternoon will be a teddy bear picnic lunch. Also, there will be a special guest speaker from the Boulder City Library.
All are welcome to attend.
The church is at 1150 Wyoming St.
For more information, call Linda Graham at 702-278-6603.
Soggy Doggy ‘pawty’ planned
A Soggy Doggy pool “pawty” Sept. 12 will mark the end of the swim season at the Boulder City pool, 861 Avenue B.
The new event allows the city’s canine residents to enjoy some swim time as the pool closes to people and opens for dogs only.
Boulder City Animal Control and pool staff will be on hand to monitor pets’ safety.
There will be two sessions, one from 9-10:25 a.m. and another from 10:35 a.m. to noon.
Cost is $4 per dog if registered by Sept. 9 and $6 per dog if registered after Sept. 9.
All dogs must have a current city license and have proof of rabies vaccination upon registration. Additional rules are available at the municipal pool.
The event is sponsored by the city’s parks and recreation department, aquatic and racquetball division, and Boulder City Animal Control.
For additional information, call 702-293-9268.
Republican women to hear editorial writer
The Boulder City Republican Women’s Club will gather for its monthly luncheon meeting Sept. 17 in the banquet room of the Railroad Pass Casino, 2800 S. Boulder Highway, Henderson.
Guest speaker for the afternoon will be Glenn Cook, editorial writer and columnist for the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
The doors will open at 11 a.m. and lunch will be served at 11:45.
Cost is $21 per person. Reservations are required and must be made by noon Sept. 10. They can be made by calling 702-393-1228 or emailing email@example.com.