weather icon Partly Cloudy

Police close Esther Drive murder-suicide case

After someone called 911 and hung up on Jan. 21, Metropolitan Police Lt. Hans Walters called back and told the dispatcher he had killed his wife and son.

Talking in a calm, monotone voice, Walters told a dispatcher he had shot and killed his son Max and wife Michelle, killing her “because she’s in such chronic pain from her neck and back, and on more medicine that she’s not going to survive,” according to a 911 recording released Monday by local police.

At the end of the 1 minute, 43 second call he states “forgive me for my sins.”

The recording, released by the Boulder City Police Department, is of the call Walters, 52, made after shooting his 46-year-old wife and 5-year-old son, and setting the house at 1313 Esther Drive on fire.

“I feel terrible for doing it,” he said before pausing. The dispatcher, Sicily Orton, tried to ask a question but Walters said, “Please don’t, please don’t interrupt me, please.”

He warned Orton that he would “open fire” on any firefighters that approached the hydrant in front of his house because he wanted the house to burn.

“So, I have to wait until the house is burning and then I’m going to shoot myself, OK?”

He then stated, “Don’t ask me any questions. This is real. This isn’t a joke.”

Walters states he set the garage and bedroom on fire, with his wife in the bedroom where he said he had “shot her in the head.” He stated he shot son Max in the head while he was in the living room watching a cartoon.

Police from Boulder City, as well as Henderson and North Las Vegas responded to the call. The SWAT teams set up a command center in the parking lot of Martha P. King Elementary School, which was closed that Monday for the Martin Luther King Jr., holiday observation.

According to the police report, Boulder City police officers saw Walters exit the front door of the house carrying a handgun waving at officers to retreat. Walters then went back towards the house, where SWAT officers found him lying outside the front door of the residence “obviously deceased” a short time later.

Max, whose legal name was Maximilian, was found by SWAT officers when they entered the home. They removed him before they retreated because of the fire’s intensity.

Kathryn Walters, who had been shot above the eye brow, was later located on the bed in the master bedroom. She would have to be identified by fingerprints. Max was shot in the back of the head. Hans shot himself above the right ear.

The recording’s release came the same day Henderson Police Department released the details of their three-month investigation.

The investigation paints Michelle Walters, whose legal first name was Kathryn, as a woman in increasing pain from a back injury probably suffered because of her passion for running, and Hans Walters under increasing financial and emotional stress.

The investigation included interviews with first responders to the Jan. 21 incident, as well as co-workers, family and neighbors.

According to interviews with family and friends of the Walters family, Hans hinted at the possibility his wife was abusing pain medication. She had already had one back surgery and was scheduled for another in February.

A neighbor who “frequently” took Max to school said Michelle took “many prescriptions for depression and back issues.”

Michelle would sometimes sleep during different times of the day, possibly struggling to take care of son Max. Hans was about to be switched to the graveyard shift, which means he would need more sleep during the day.

Michelle Walters had left the Las Vegas police department a few years earlier, leaving them a single-income family with increasing medical bills.

Friends also surmised that the Walters family had already spent a substantial amount of money to have Max through in vitro fertilization.

Less than a week before the murder-suicide, a co-worker told investigators that Hans Walters started giving away some items out of his desk.

Friends and family painted the couple as good together with no indication of violence or abuse.

Although the Walters family moved to Boulder City in 2005, neighbors told investigators they didn’t really know them. One said they didn’t know a child lived there.

The autopsy report revealed Hans had the words “Maximilian” and “Michelle” tattooed on his right arm.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Schools report smooth return

Parents can finally exhale after a long summer of kids in the house as school is back in session in Boulder City. On Monday, Aug. 8, all four schools in town welcomed back students for the 2022-23 school year in an orderly fashion without any mishaps.

Council OKs plan to remove turf

Water was once again the main focus for City Council. At its meeting Tuesday, Aug. 9, an agreement with the Southern Nevada Water Association that will remove turf in Boulder City to save on water was approved 4-0 by the council.

Council gets first look at Nevada Way remodel

The Boulder City Council was introduced to a project that will remodel and rehabilitate the stretch of Nevada Way from Wyoming to Park streets during its meeting Tuesday, Aug. 9.

More human remains found at Lake Mead

More human remains have been found at Lake Mead, according to officials at the national recreation area.

Fire department targets sites to improve response times

Two locations are being targeted for a new Boulder City Fire substation that the City Council approved last month to help the department improve response time to emergencies. The proposed new fire station, labeled Station 122, is looking at sites at Quartzite Road and Nevada Way as well as near the library at 701 Adams Boulevard. The city owns land in both locations.

Ex-manager sues city; claims retaliation

Former City Manager Al Noyola filed a lawsuit against the city Friday, July 29, alleging that his civil rights were violated when he was fired Oct. 13, 2020.

School begins Monday

School is almost back in session for the quartet of schools in Boulder City.

Storms cause minor damage

Monsoon season brought damage to Boulder City as the town was hit with a collection of storms last week. Luckily, the city was able to handle the storms in an efficient manner, according to officials, who dealt with the typical gravel and rock erosion, power outages and roof leaks.

Lend A Hand awarded $101K from state

In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the state of Nevada has awarded $30 million in Community Recovery Grants to nonprofit organizations including Lend A Hand of Boulder City. The local organization was one of the 30-plus applicants that received money funded by American Rescue Act Plan dollars.

Drought drives tough talks to cut water use

Nevada and two of its neighboring Southwestern states are still working on ways to drastically cut water use from the Colorado River as a deadline set by the federal government to address the worsening conditions along the river quickly approaches.