62°F
weather icon Cloudy

Community

Dedication pays dividends for academic all stars

As another school year comes to an end, Wednesday’s graduation ceremony will see the 120 students that make up the class of 2016 receive their diplomas and walk off to the next stage of their lives. Each of these Boulder City High School seniors can take pride in an accomplishment that signifies years of dedication and hard work, but five scholastic standouts will be honored for getting it just about perfect.

Memorial Day preview

Memorial Day is bringing patriotic events aplenty to Boulder City this weekend.

Class of 2016

Amanda Adams

Students’ outstanding achievements recognized

Getting into college is only half the battle: You also need a way to pay for it. Fortunately, some graduating seniors from Boulder City High School got a little financial assistance at the school’s scholarship ceremony on May 16.

The Latest
Returning kindness motivates Moncayo

There aren’t many people who are as bright and involved at Boulder City High School as Velzani Moncayo. Student body president, prom queen and volleyball player — this senior has done it all.

Opportunities to grow are endless

Boulder City High School has been a place of endless opportunities for a shy freshman like me. I had moved to Boulder City from Atlanta, where I was often viewed as a number, not a student. I was used to being a part of the crowd and never dreamed of standing out.

Former Oaklane Students Honored

Hali Bernstein Saylor/Boulder City Review

Stars shine at talent show

The lights shined bright on Saturday night as 21 contestants looked to show their stuff at the seventh annual Boulder City’s Got Talent competition. The competition was close, but Robbie Queen took home the title in the adult category with her rendition of the song “Girl Crush” by Little Big Town. Talent show organizer Justin Keogh said Queen was well deserving of the prize. “She is such a talent,” Keogh said. “It is surprising because she is such a shy person, but then she opens her mouth to sing and it is just amazing.”

Art day brings valuable lessons to kids

The Boulder City Art Guild hosted Artful Arty’s Kids Drawing Day at Hemenway Park Saturday, as nearly two dozen elementary students came out to learn tips on open air art, with hopes of using bighorn sheep as live models.

Community Briefs

Art guild partners with lodge for show

Senior Center

Hours of operation: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Friday at 813 Arizona St., 702-293-3320. Visit the center’s website at www.seniorcenterbouldercity.org.

VFW honors post namesake’s mother

The Veterans of Foreign War, Post 36 chapter, presented Pat Marek with an Honor and Remember flag Saturday in remembrance of her son, Army Cpl. Matthew Commons, after whom the Boulder City post is named.

1 114 115 116 117 118 168