93°F
weather icon Windy

House Democrats blast plan for price hikes at national parks

Congressional Democrats, including three from Nevada, have come out against a plan to more than double the entrance fees at some of the nation’s busiest and most iconic national parks.

In a letter sent Nov. 1 to Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, 90 House members called on the Trump administration to work with Congress to fully fund the National Park Service rather than jack up fees at select parks.

The letter comes in response to a park service plan unveiled last month to boost revenue next year with peak-season pricing at 17 parks. During the busiest five months at those parks, entrance fees would more than double to $70 per vehicle, $50 per motorcycle and $30 per person.

The House Democrats called the proposal “misguided,” saying it would hurt local economies near the parks and prevent low-income families from seeing some of the nation’s most treasured places.

“Public lands belong to all Americans, not just wealthy families who can absorb the steep fee increases,” the letter said.

Reps. Ruben Kihuen, Jacky Rosen and Dina Titus, all D-Nev., signed the message to Zinke.

No Republicans signed the letter.

Park service officials have said the additional money would be used to “improve facilities, infrastructure and visitor services, with an emphasis on deferred-maintenance projects.”

If it is finalized, the peak-season increase is expected to boost entrance fee revenues by about 34 percent, from just under $200 million in fiscal year 2016 to more than $268 million.

The park service is also proposing entrance and permit fee increases for commercial tour operators.

The 17 parks were chosen because they are the top revenue earners for the service, accounting for 70 percent of all entrance fees collected nationwide.

The list includes several within a day’s drive of the Las Vegas area: Grand Canyon in Arizona; Joshua Tree, Sequoia-Kings Canyon and Yosemite in California; and Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands and Zion in Utah.

No park service sites in Nevada would be affected. The price of annual passes and lifetime passes for seniors would remain at $80.

The park service will accept public input on the plan through Nov. 23.

Comments can be submitted online through the agency’s Planning, Environment and Public Comment website. Click on the “Document List” or “Open For Comment” project links on the left side navigation menu. Open the document and use the “Comment Now” button.

Written comments can be mailed to National Park Service, Recreation Fee Program, 1849 C St. NW, Mail Stop 2346, Washington, DC 20240.

Contact Henry Brean at hbrean@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0350. Follow @RefriedBrean on Twitter.

MOST READ
LISTEN TO THE TOP FIVE HERE
THE LATEST
P.E. teacher hanging up whistle

For nearly 30 years, Donna Handley has taught the three R’s at Andrew J. Mitchell Elementary, but maybe not the three you may be thinking of – Running, Recreation and Respect.

More off-leash areas, times approved by council

By a rare 3-2 split, the Boulder City Council voted last week to give a few additional options for those residents who were opposed to the leash law passed late last year.

Shaka, rattle and roll

Earlier this month, it was reported that a couple of minor earthquakes hit Nevada, which should come as no surprise to many considering our proximity to the San Andreas Fault.

BCHS wins fourth straight state title

Boulder City High School boys swimming won their fourth consecutive 3A state championship, while the girls finished as 3A state runner-up.

Jenas-Keogh ends high school career on a high note

Taking home some hardware, six Boulder City High School girls track and field stars did just that at the 3A state meet.

Eagles recapture state crown

Back on the mountaintop, Boulder City High School boys volleyball recaptured the 3A state championship, defeating rival Moapa Valley, 3-0, on May 13.

Preservation Day: A step back in time

Dozens of people had an opportunity to journey back in time and get an inside look into Boulder City’s past as part of Saturday’s annual Historic Preservation Day.

Jenas-Keogh paces girls on track

Putting their best foot forward, Boulder City High School track and field will be well respected at the 3A state meet, qualifying 12 girls and nine boys after this past week’s regional meet.

McClarens lead swimmers to title

Continuing their illustrious pedigree of excellence, Boulder City High School boys and girls swimming each took home 3A regional championships this past weekend.