90°F
weather icon Clear

Deal gives state greater say in nuclear waste disposal

WASHINGTON — Gov. Brian Sandoval and the federal government announced Tuesday they have reached an agreement giving Nevada a stronger voice over radioactive waste shipped into the state and buried in a landfill at the Nevada National Security Site.

The deal stems from the impasse over the disposal of 403 canisters of potent uranium-233 commingled with uranium-235, atom-splitting material containing byproducts that can be used to make a bomb. The standoff has stalled a cleanup at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee, where the material had been stored for decades in an aging warehouse.

Capping more than a year of talks triggered by growing public concern in Nevada, Sandoval and Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz signed a six-page memorandum Monday spelling out a new relationship in dealing with radioactive material transported and disposed of in the Area 5 landfill of the security site.

Contrary to an early Las Vegas Review-Journal report, state officials emphasized the agreement does not finalize a path for the uranium waste still on hold at Oak Ridge. Those talks are ongoing and the waste remains in Tennessee, state and federal officials said.

Rather, as the government continues to clean up radio­active material from Cold War-era nuclear weapons factories and storage sites, the agreement promises further consultations with Nevada officials over potentially exotic waste forms that might stretch the definition of “low level” contaminated debris buried at the sprawling desert reservation 65 miles north of Las Vegas.

“This is an important step forward in ensuring continuity in collaboration between Nevada and the Department of Energy,” Sandoval said in a statement. “Today’s announcement solidifies the Nevada National Security Site Working Group and represents a milestone achievement in our commitment to candid and direct communication on these critical issues.”

The memorandum calls for the uranium shipments to travel in secret accompanied by high-level security and for the waste to be further isolated at burial to protect against theft or sabotage.

Nevada and the Energy Department waged a long war over disposing high-level nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain. But it was unusual for them to be at odds over operations at the Nevada National Security Site, formerly known as the Nevada Test Site, where the state long supported government-detonated atomic bomb tests and where the National Nuclear Security Administration still conducts nuclear weapons experiments.

Moniz in a statement said the agreement preserves a “productive relationship” between the state and the department.

“I am aware of what is taking place — this agreement was with Gov. Sandoval and Secretary Moniz — and am pleased it seems they were able to work something out,” Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., said in a statement.

State officials had grown concerned that the proposed uranium waste shipments might open the door for other exotic forms of nuclear waste. The worries grew after the Energy Department in May 2013 appeared to broaden its “waste acceptance” guidelines for the types of material that might be buried at the site.

The Energy Department is retracting some of the changes to its waste acceptance criteria. It said it also identified two other waste streams once destined for Nevada that will be shipped to other landfills. Officials could provide no details on those forms of waste and their destinations.

Sandoval and Moniz also agreed that senior-level state and federal officials will to meet at least twice a year on waste issues and to discuss possible new missions at the 1,351-square-mile site.

They would be charged with reviewing proposed changes to the waste acceptance guidelines of what could be buried at the Area 5 landfill. The agreement also calls for an independent scientific body to review how the Energy Department classifies low-level waste for purposes of disposal.

For instance, while the Oak Ridge waste was classified as “low level,” it would be as much as 1,500 times more radioactive than contaminated debris usually buried at the Area 5 landfill. The waste canisters require heavy shielding and will need to be handled by remote-control cranes.

Contact Stephens Washington Bureau Chief Steve Tetreault at stetreault@stephensmedia.com or 202-783-1760. Find him on Twitter: @STetreaultDC.

MOST READ
LISTEN TO THE TOP FIVE HERE
THE LATEST
Teamwork stressed for BC’s public schools

When walking into the Boulder City High School cafeteria last Wednesday, it was almost like stepping back in time nearly 100 years.

Lady Eagles have lofty season expectations

Featuring a roster full of key returnees, Boulder City High School girls volleyball is looking to make an extended postseason run this season.

Plenty of questions surround champs

Coming off a state championship, Boulder City High School girls tennis is coming into the season with some question marks.

 
Lake Mead sets a record low. It’s only the beginning

For a few hours on Friday, the reservoir that provides nearly all of Southern Nevada’s drinking water dipped to its lowest level ever since it was filled in the 1930s.

Giving back

Saturday evening, Calvary Chapel Boulder City hosted a back-to-school event at Veterans Memorial Park. There, free school supplies and clothing were given out to families. In addition, toys were raffled off, there were free hamburgers, live music and an appearance by the Boulder City Fire Department. Pastor Jason King said he was very happy with the turnout and wished to thank all of those who donated to the event.

Now, that’s a really good idea !

We generally expect our leaders to be educated, smart, and well-informed. More often than not, we support, elect, and follow those who appear to have an answer for everything. But good leaders don’t know everything. And the very best ones know that they don’t know everything.

Sound decisions keep Boulder City costs down

Boulder City residents occasionally ask how the city is able to have one of the lowest property tax rates in the state, and still provide needed functions such as police, fire, and public parks. In addition to land leases that provide 35% of our general fund budget, we also look at ways to keep costs down. As the city’s Purchasing, Grants and Risk manager for the last eight years, I have seen the city make decisions that keep us lean.

Renovation begins on former Milo’s

For those driving through town, it’s hard to miss work on what will be a new Italian eatery in a very iconic location of Restaurant Row, which was once owned and operated by the late Milo Hurst, who helped revitalize Boulder City’s downtown area.

Boulder Theatre to open its doors to events

Whether as a location for builders of Hoover Dam to escape the heat, a place to see movies with families, friends or a date, or a venue to enjoy ballet performances, the Boulder Theatre has been a favorite local historical landmark for nearly a century.