89°F
weather icon Clear

Bypass construction on schedule; set for 2018 completion

Construction of the Interstate 11 bypass is progressing as planned, with part of it coming along faster than expected, according to the Nevada Department of Transportation.

NDOT Public Affairs Officer Tony Illia said Phase 1, it’s portion of the interstate project, is 37 percent complete and is ahead of schedule.

“We are actually moving much faster than expected,” Illia said. “We are expecting to be done with our part of the project by December 2017.”

Phase 1 is a $82 million project that involves building a 2.5-mile, four-lane concrete interstate freeway between Silver Line Road and Foothills Drive.

Construction crews have currently moved 1 million cubic yards of earth in the Phase 1 area.

Illia said the amount of dirt moved to construct the bypass is enough to fill 400 swimming pools.

A full diamond interchange also will be constructed near Railroad Pass hotel and casino. The interchange will allow constant four-way traffic by implementing a series of ramps and overpasses.

U.S. Highway 93/95, where the casino is located, sees a high amount of traffic, with over 35,000 vehicles and heavy trucks driving through the area daily.

“We get a lot of traffic near Railroad Pass,” Illia said, “The interchange will keep the heavy traffic flow moving.” Phase 2 is managed by the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada is also on schedule to complete the other 12.5 miles of the interstate by 2018. Phase 2 is being worked on concurrently with Phase 1. “We started construction in 2015 and we are currently on schedule to finish in 2018,” RTC representative Monika Bertaki said. “Bridge construction, drainage structures, utility work, dust control, fencing and earthwork removal should be completed on time.”

Bertaki said bypass construction will cause minimal community disruption because it is being built away from U.S. Highway 93/95.

For more bypass updates, head to NDOT’s or the RTC’s web page at http://bit.ly/1NWorKT or http://bit.ly/19oj6It.

Contact reporter Max Lancaster@bouldercityreview.com or at 702-586-9401. Follow him on Twitter @MLancasterBCR.

MOST READ
LISTEN TO THE TOP FIVE HERE
THE LATEST
P.E. teacher hanging up whistle

For nearly 30 years, Donna Handley has taught the three R’s at Andrew J. Mitchell Elementary, but maybe not the three you may be thinking of – Running, Recreation and Respect.

More off-leash areas, times approved by council

By a rare 3-2 split, the Boulder City Council voted last week to give a few additional options for those residents who were opposed to the leash law passed late last year.

Shaka, rattle and roll

Earlier this month, it was reported that a couple of minor earthquakes hit Nevada, which should come as no surprise to many considering our proximity to the San Andreas Fault.

BCHS wins fourth straight state title

Boulder City High School boys swimming won their fourth consecutive 3A state championship, while the girls finished as 3A state runner-up.

Jenas-Keogh ends high school career on a high note

Taking home some hardware, six Boulder City High School girls track and field stars did just that at the 3A state meet.

Eagles recapture state crown

Back on the mountaintop, Boulder City High School boys volleyball recaptured the 3A state championship, defeating rival Moapa Valley, 3-0, on May 13.

Preservation Day: A step back in time

Dozens of people had an opportunity to journey back in time and get an inside look into Boulder City’s past as part of Saturday’s annual Historic Preservation Day.

Jenas-Keogh paces girls on track

Putting their best foot forward, Boulder City High School track and field will be well respected at the 3A state meet, qualifying 12 girls and nine boys after this past week’s regional meet.

McClarens lead swimmers to title

Continuing their illustrious pedigree of excellence, Boulder City High School boys and girls swimming each took home 3A regional championships this past weekend.