39°F
weather icon Clear

Process for getting insurance smoother

More than 40,000 Nevadans signed up for insurance through the Affordable Care Act during the first month of open enrollment, which began Nov. 15, according to a report from the U.S. Health and Human Services Department.

“We’re pleased that in Nevada, 40,285 people signed up for marketplace coverage during the first month of open enrollment,” Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell said. “The vast majority were able to lower their costs even further by getting tax credits, making a difference in the bottom lines of so many families.”

About 90 percent of Nevadans who chose health insurance plans in the first month were eligible for financial assistance to lower their monthly premiums, the report said.

More than 4 million people nationwide signed up for the first time, including all of the Nevadans, or re-enrolled in coverage for 2015 during the first month of open enrollment, the report said. Open enrollment runs through Feb. 15.

Through Dec. 26, nearly 6.5 million Americans selected a plan or were automatically re-enrolled, the report said.

Boulder City insurance broker Beth Walker said the increase in the number of Nevadans getting insurance is good news, especially because the federal government’s hope of generating more youth involvement has not gone the way it hoped. The lack of younger people signing up is one of the catalysts for the rate increases of others, she said.

“Unless they are young people who are married with children,” Walker said about younger enrollees. “What I have seen are parents of 26-year-olds contacting me to do the process with them on behalf of their child who is aging off of their policy. They know if they leave it to the child they’re not going to do it.”

Walker said problems with last year’s Nevada Healthlink website turned people away from getting insurance. But in 2014, Nevada joined www.HealthCare.gov, and is one of 37 states to use the federal platform.

The transition has been smoother, but Walker said young people still aren’t showing up to get insurance, and it will probably be a couple of years until the market balances out.

Contact reporter Steven Slivka at sslivka@bouldercityreview.com. Follow him on Twitter @StevenSlivka.

MOST READ
LISTEN TO THE TOP FIVE HERE
THE LATEST
Ruth, Burrows make state podium

Competing at the 3A state meet, Boulder City High School wrestlers Otis Ruth and Coen Burrows made their way onto the podium at the Winnemucca Events Center on Feb. 14.

Lady Eagles advance to state tourney

Boulder City High School girls basketball will be making their first 3A state tournament appearance since 2019.

Just play by the rules during the parade

If you’re reading this and have not yet read the page 1 article about the concerns of the Damboree committee and the popular water zone, I will stop typing until you do.

Protecting student programs at King

Editor’s Note: After the printing of this edition, Martha P. King Elementary received word from the school district that it won its budget appeal and that both the PE and music positions will not have to go part-time this fall.

Cox awards $250K for railroad trail

It’s one of the most popular trails within the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, and thanks to a generous grant, will soon be receiving a makeover.

Damboree water zone may dry up

The July 4 Damboree is not only one of the most popular parades in the state, it is a big part of Boulder City’s history.

Dynamic duo lead Eagles basketball into playoffs

Ending the regular season on a high note with a 17-10 record, Boulder City High School boys basketball won their final two regular-season games.

Lady Eagles to host playoff game

Finishing the regular season on a high note, Boulder City High School girls basketball won their last two regular-season games, earning the right to host a home playoff game.