45°F
weather icon Clear

News Briefs

Rain postpones ‘BC’s Got Talent;’

show will be held May 30

Thunderstorms forced the cancellation of Saturday’s sixth annual “BC’s Got Talent” show. Officials have rescheduled the event for 7 p.m. May 30, said Christy Springgate-Hill of Boulder City Friends of the Arts, which presents the show each year.

Members of the Boulder City Friends of the Arts said they were holding out hope the weather would clear in time for the talent contest. However, at 6:15 p.m. as thunder rumbled and lightning lit the darkened sky, it became clear that the show couldn’t go on, said Justin Keogh, who serves as the show’s master of ceremonies.

Crew members scrambled to collect equipment from the stage and move it to someplace dry.

“There was a lot of disappointment from the performers as well,” he said. “They were all practiced and sound checks had been done.”

It was first time the event had to be canceled because of weather, Keogh said.

“The weather was really extraordinary,” he said. “Usually the heat is a problem.”

According to the National Weather Service, a quarter-inch of rain was recorded at the Alan Bible Visitor Center at Lake Mead National Recreation Area, the closest official recording site to Boulder City.

Even if the rain had stopped by the show’s scheduled start time, Keogh said the ground and seating area in the Boulder City Library amphitheater would have been wet and the spectators would have been uncomfortable.

Senior center gets grant from Subaru for meals program

The Senior Center of Boulder City has received a second grant from the 2014-15 Subaru Share the Love event. The money will be used to buy food and supplies for the Meals on Wheels program.

Ann Barron, the senior center’s executive director, said Subaru donates to the national Meals on Wheels program based on its car sales. In December, the senior center received a $3,500 grant and a $700 donation just arrived.

The local Meals on Wheels program is funded partly by a grant from the Nevada Division of Aging and Disability Services and by donations from clients. It relies on other grants and donations to cover the expense of food and preparation.

The program ensures that homebound seniors have a nutritious meal along with personal interaction and a wellness check each weekday.

Barron said Subaru’s continued support is truly appreciated.

Company starts guided tours to view submerged bomber

A Lake Havasu City company has been issued a permit to provide dive tours of the B-29 Superfortress bomber that is submerged in Lake Mead.

Scuba Training and Technology began offering tours April 24, marking the first time in six years people were able to dive to the aircraft.

The plane crashed into Lake Mead on July 21, 1948, while engaged in high-altitude atmospheric research. The crew of five survived the crash, but the plane was lost in the lake’s depths. Local divers discovered the plane in August 2001.

Scuba Training and Technology is authorized to provide 100 guided client dives to the B-29 site each year for the next two years, and to provide unlimited scuba instruction and scuba charter for other locations at Lake Mead National Recreation Area.

“The B-29 Superfortress Bomber in Lake Mead is a special type of dive. Rarely do we get to visit a significant piece of American history under the water in a national park,” Scuba Training and Technology Vice President Joel Silverstein said.

“We see the B-29 dive as a gateway for divers to enjoy the many dive sites available in the Lake Mead National Recreational Area.”

Capt. Kathy Weydig, a lead guide for the team, also is looking forward to the opportunity.

“Scuba Training and Technology is honored to have been selected for this commercial use authorization,” she said. “We look forward to guiding divers on this unique dive site in Lake Mead.”

To schedule a guided dive of the B-29, visit www.divetheb29.com or call 928-855-9400.

MOST READ
LISTEN TO THE TOP FIVE HERE
THE LATEST
Ruth, Burrows make state podium

Competing at the 3A state meet, Boulder City High School wrestlers Otis Ruth and Coen Burrows made their way onto the podium at the Winnemucca Events Center on Feb. 14.

Lady Eagles advance to state tourney

Boulder City High School girls basketball will be making their first 3A state tournament appearance since 2019.

Just play by the rules during the parade

If you’re reading this and have not yet read the page 1 article about the concerns of the Damboree committee and the popular water zone, I will stop typing until you do.

Protecting student programs at King

Editor’s Note: After the printing of this edition, Martha P. King Elementary received word from the school district that it won its budget appeal and that both the PE and music positions will not have to go part-time this fall.

Cox awards $250K for railroad trail

It’s one of the most popular trails within the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, and thanks to a generous grant, will soon be receiving a makeover.

Damboree water zone may dry up

The July 4 Damboree is not only one of the most popular parades in the state, it is a big part of Boulder City’s history.

Dynamic duo lead Eagles basketball into playoffs

Ending the regular season on a high note with a 17-10 record, Boulder City High School boys basketball won their final two regular-season games.

Lady Eagles to host playoff game

Finishing the regular season on a high note, Boulder City High School girls basketball won their last two regular-season games, earning the right to host a home playoff game.