73°F
weather icon Clear

Annual report: Drinking water safe

Boulder City’s drinking water has been deemed safe to use in an annual water quality report.

The report comes out each July and analyzes potential health risks, amount of contaminants in the water, and breaks down the percentage of where the city receives its water.

According to the report that analyzed data and samples from 2013, 97 percent of Boulder City’s water comes from the Colorado River. The Virgin River, Muddy River and Las Vegas Wash account for the other 3 percent.

As the water arrives through an intake pipe at the Alfred Merritt Smith Water Treatment Facility, it is treated with ozone and chlorine to kill potentially harmful bacteria and microscopic organisms. The water is disinfected and filtered again before leaving the facility.

Salts, metals, wildlife and a few other sources can leave contaminants in the water before it goes through the treatment process, but the report said Boulder City’s water quality is well below all maximum contaminant levels for drinking water except microbiological contaminants, which are naturally found in all surface waters.

Boulder City’s tap water, according to the yearly report, contains naturally occurring calcium and magnesium, which may contribute to the taste. Both minerals are harmless, it said. The Environmental Protection Agency has regulations that limit the amount of certain contaminants in water provided by public water systems.

According to the Southern Nevada Water Authority, where Boulder City gets it water from, the water it delivers has always met all state and Safe Drinking Water Act standards.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Council OKs expanded solar lease

More money is coming to the city’s coffers as council members recently approved adding land to a lease option held by Silver Peak Solar LLC.

City files motion to dismiss open meeting law violation claims

A new motion to dismiss some of the claims in an Eighth District Court case against the city has been filed, and a hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. Nov. 5.

Meeting to discuss city attorney canceled due to improper notice

A special meeting scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 22, to discuss firing City Attorney Steve Morris was canceled because the process server did not give him proper notice of the meeting, despite initially saying he did.

Grant program to aid small businesses

Boulder City has a new grant program to help its small businesses and residents weather through the COVID-19 storm.

Survey reveals fewer ‘historic’ properties

Boulder City will not lose its spot on the National Register of Historic Places even though it no longer has enough contributing properties in the historic area.

Risk fund to pay legal expenses

The city will not have to allocate money from the general fund to pay for its legal representation in a Nevada District Court case involving two of its staff members, according to the head of the finance department.

Motion to halt firings of city attorney, city manager denied

The motion for a preliminary injunction to prevent City Council from terminating the employment contracts for the city attorney and city manager was denied the morning of Sept. 3 by Jim Crockett, a judge in Nevada’s Eighth District Court.

Complaint reveals plot to end employees’ contracts

A plan to terminate the employment contracts of the city attorney and city manager and deny them their severance pay may have begun more than a year ago, according to a new motion filed in a District Court case against the city.

Goya resigns from Historic Preservation Committee

Longtime Historic Preservation Committee member Alan Goya has resigned from his position, citing the lack of City Council support as a reason for the decision.

Historic preservation group proposing code changes

A Boulder City committee is asking the City Council to help update the town’s historic preservation ordinance by providing two members to attend a new monthly meeting.