90°F
weather icon Mostly Clear

Bypass construction plan moves forward

The Interstate 11 loop project inched along a little further Tuesday, with the City Council voting to grant easements to the Regional Transportation Commission.

The council approved the commission’s request for easements to construct, maintain and operate phase two of the I-11 loop, also referred to as the Boulder City bypass.

The interlocal agreement provides immediate access to perform surveys, geotechnical work and other preconstruction activities.

Upon a 60-day notice, the agreement states the city will grant the commission a permanent easement for the roadway corridor.

After the completion of phase two construction, the agreement states that the commission will transfer the easements to the Nevada Transportation Department for ownership, operation and maintenance.

The agreement also states that the city will not allow any access from city property to I-11.

Phase two will extend from U.S. Highway 95, a mile south of the U.S. 93/95 intersection, around the southern and eastern perimeter of the town, and connect with U.S. Highway 93 east of the Hacienda Casino.

The entire length of the I-11 loop, including the shorter phase one, is 12 miles.

Boulder City has historically supported the efforts to see the construction of I-11, which would connect Las Vegas and Phoenix, and alleviate traffic congestion. Easements for phase one construction were granted previously.

However, the council expressed concerns with the phase two easements.

The Council’s first concern was the access across I-11 during the construction period.

Mayor Roger Tobler said he was concerned about being able to cross from the central residential part of town to the outer desert areas. He said he had heard similar concerns from members of the Boulder City Horsemen’s Association.

Councilman Duncan McCoy spoke up on behalf of local outdoor enthusiasts.

“It’s really important to the people who recreate out there,” he said. “We need to make sure access is preserved.”

The council motioned that wording be added to the agreement stating the transportation commission will use “the best efforts to maintain access during construction.”

“You don’t want people breaking down a fence,” Councilman Cam Walker said. “Let them know there is access to the other parts.”

The council also expressed concerns regarding signage that would be placed along the completed interstate. It requested that language be added to the agreement allowing Boulder City to agree on the signage before the project is turned over to the Transportation Department.

“That signage can be life and death for tourism in our community,” Walker said.

The Regional Transportation Commission decided to move forward with the development of the bypass when the Clark County Commission passed a fuel tax in September providing funding for most of the $280 million project.

It is expected the design-build contract will be awarded in fall 2014, and it will take as long as three years to complete construction.

MOST READ
LISTEN TO THE TOP FIVE HERE
THE LATEST
Teamwork stressed for BC’s public schools

When walking into the Boulder City High School cafeteria last Wednesday, it was almost like stepping back in time nearly 100 years.

Lady Eagles have lofty season expectations

Featuring a roster full of key returnees, Boulder City High School girls volleyball is looking to make an extended postseason run this season.

Plenty of questions surround champs

Coming off a state championship, Boulder City High School girls tennis is coming into the season with some question marks.

 
Lake Mead sets a record low. It’s only the beginning

For a few hours on Friday, the reservoir that provides nearly all of Southern Nevada’s drinking water dipped to its lowest level ever since it was filled in the 1930s.

Giving back

Saturday evening, Calvary Chapel Boulder City hosted a back-to-school event at Veterans Memorial Park. There, free school supplies and clothing were given out to families. In addition, toys were raffled off, there were free hamburgers, live music and an appearance by the Boulder City Fire Department. Pastor Jason King said he was very happy with the turnout and wished to thank all of those who donated to the event.

Now, that’s a really good idea !

We generally expect our leaders to be educated, smart, and well-informed. More often than not, we support, elect, and follow those who appear to have an answer for everything. But good leaders don’t know everything. And the very best ones know that they don’t know everything.

Sound decisions keep Boulder City costs down

Boulder City residents occasionally ask how the city is able to have one of the lowest property tax rates in the state, and still provide needed functions such as police, fire, and public parks. In addition to land leases that provide 35% of our general fund budget, we also look at ways to keep costs down. As the city’s Purchasing, Grants and Risk manager for the last eight years, I have seen the city make decisions that keep us lean.

Renovation begins on former Milo’s

For those driving through town, it’s hard to miss work on what will be a new Italian eatery in a very iconic location of Restaurant Row, which was once owned and operated by the late Milo Hurst, who helped revitalize Boulder City’s downtown area.

Boulder Theatre to open its doors to events

Whether as a location for builders of Hoover Dam to escape the heat, a place to see movies with families, friends or a date, or a venue to enjoy ballet performances, the Boulder Theatre has been a favorite local historical landmark for nearly a century.