Posted on 19 June 2011.
By Jack Johnson, Boulder City Review
Firefighters battle a two-alarm house fire Sunday afternoon on Ave I near Arizona Street. One person was transported to the hospital with burns. Photo by Jack Johnson.
Boulder city and Henderson firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire Sunday afternoon on Ave. I.
According to police, the fire seems to have started in a residential garage where someone was working on a boat.
One person has been transferred to the hospital but further details are not available at this time.
Neighbors reported that the fire, which started at about 12:30 p.m..
The fire began in the garage of 508 Avenue I with a large explosion, according to witnesses.
“I heard a huge explosion,” next door neighbor Wendy Kyser said. “I saw the mushroom cloud.”
Kyser said one resident was home in the garage at the time of the explosion, an elderly man who was transferred to Boulder City Hospital with burns.
The flames reached into overhead electrical lines, causing many more smaller explosions, Kyser said.
Kyser’s husband, Robert Kyser, said he kept the flames out of their tree until the firefighters arrived.
“I kept hosing it down ’til they told us to get out,” he said.
The Kysers said they then left with their baby, and no shoes.
At 2 p.m., the fire seemed to be mostly contained, and damage to nearby residences appeared to be minimal.